Did you know that Hiawatha is now a Home Base Iowa community?
Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans that relocate to their community and connects veterans and transitioning service members with partners and resources. This program also helps support veterans and their families with education, training, and career opportunities.
Veterans living in Hiawatha receive a 50% discount on Parks and Recreation programs. Other incentives include waived fees for water service, 10% discount for residential permit work on their property, and 10% off rental registration for the first year as a property owner. Veterans also receive free printing at the Hiawatha Public Library.
Former Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, passed the Home Base Iowa Act on Memorial Day, 2014, Home Base Iowa was designed to entice veterans to live in the state and for Iowa businesses to hire them. The Act's incentives include:
• State income tax exemption on 100% of military pension
• Up to $7,500 military and homeowner assistance
• Permissive veteran preference in employment
• Streamlined occupational licensure processes
• Automatic in state tuition for qualified veterans, spouses and their dependents
• Veteran specific license plates
For more information about Home Base Iowa, visit homebaseiowa.gov.